HIKE - SUNDAY, JUNE 10: Avatar Grove Biodiversity Hike and Boardwalk Fundraiser!
Summer is almost here and this is your chance to hike the Avatar Grove with three of BC's finest naturalists!
Ancient Forest Alliance Hike, June 5, 2012
Click for larger image
Hikers walk through the Avatar Grove during last year's Biodiversity Hike.
Photo by TJ Watt
Summer is almost here and this is your chance to hike the Avatar Grove with three of BC's finest naturalists! University of Victoria entomologist and old-growth biodiversity specialist Dr. Neville Winchester, president of the Victoria Natural History Society Darren Copley (and former Goldstream Nature Centre chief interpreter) and the Royal BC Museum's senior collections manager of entomology Claudia Copley will be along for the hike to talk about the tremendous diversity of creatures living in our incredible ancient forests!
Join these special guests as well as Ancient Forest Alliance organizers Ken Wu, TJ Watt, and Joan Varley on the hike through Avatar and learn how you can help in the campaign to protect BC's endangered old-growth forests!
TIME & PLACE: Meet 2:00 pm in Port Renfrew at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe after which time we’ll drive in a convoy to the Avatar Grove.
*NOTE - Please park alongside the side road opposite the cafe parking lot. Sundays are a very busy time and we must leave room for the regular customer parking. Thank you!
HIKE: 2:30 – 4:30 pm
COST: SLIDING SCALE - $20 to $200 per individual (children are free)
MAP: Printable Tall Tree Tour map of Port Renfrew
Funds from this hike will go towards the Ancient Forest Alliance's exciting new project to build a boardwalk in the Avatar Grove! A boardwalk is essential to help protect the forests' ecological integrity and enhance visitor access and safety. For $100 you can sponsor a 1 metre section of the trail.
Donations can be made securely online at: https://www.ancientforestalliance.org/boardwalk-donation.php
By credit card over the phone at: 250.896.4007
Or by mailing a cheque to the address listed here.
What can you expect from the trip?
- To see some of the largest and strangest looking trees in BC, including “Canada’s Gnarliest Tree”!
- To learn to identify some of the common rainforest trees, plants, lichens and fungi.
- To learn about the wildlife - the wolves, cougars, elk, bears, Sasquatch (**sightings not guaranteed), birds, amphibians, and other creatures that inhabit the Avatar Grove.
- To meet great new people and have an AWESOME TIME!
THINGS TO KNOW:
* Only those with moderate hiking abilities and who are comfortable on semi-rugged terrain, with a firm sense of balance, can attend this hike.
* All participants will be required to sign a waiver form.
* Participants must bring their own water, rain gear, hiking boots and wonderful attitude!
* Dogs must remain on a leash at all times - they can disturb wildlife including bears, elk, deer, cougars, wolves, raccoons, mink, and Sasquatch in the area.
* Be sure to support the local community by spending your dollars in Port Renfrew and Sooke!
* This event is a fundraiser for the Ancient Forest Alliance which is in need of funding to build an Avatar Grove boardwalk and to continue its vital campaigns to protect BC’s ancient forests and forestry jobs.
If you can, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how many of you are coming so we can get a sense of our numbers.
Top | Back