Avatar Grove Hike and Boardwalk Fundraiser Sunday Oct. 20th
Ancient Forest Alliance, October 15, 2013
Join Ancient Forest Alliance organizers Ken Wu and TJ Watt on Sunday, Oct. 20th for a fantastic forest hike to learn about old-growth forest ecology, see the progress of the boardwalk so far, and find out how you can help support the completion of this important project!
If you are planning on taking part, PLEASE carefully read all the info below!
• TIME & PLACE: Meet Sunday, Oct 20th at 1:30 pm in Port Renfrew at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe after which time we’ll drive in a convoy to the Avatar Grove. We will hike from 2:30-4:30pm
*NOTE - When you arrive, please park alongside the road opposite the cafe so we leave room in the main parking lot for regular customers. Thank you!
• BY DONATION: Suggested sliding scale $20 to $200 per adult
• MAP: Printable Tall Tree Tour map of Port Renfrew: http://bit.ly/ZoLgew
Funds from this hike will go towards expanding the boardwalk project in the Avatar Grove! Construction has already begun but more work is still needed in many areas! A boardwalk is essential to help protect the forests' ecological integrity and enhance visitor safety and access. For $100 you can sponsor a 1 metre section of the trail.
See pictures of the boardwalk work completed so far: http://on.fb.me/1aVEcwQ
What can you expect from the trip?
- To see some of the largest and strangest looking trees in BC, including “Canada’s Gnarliest Tree”!
- To learn about the wildlife, ecology, and politics of old-growth forests in BC and what you can do to protect them.
- To meet great new people and have an AWESOME TIME!
THINGS TO KNOW:
* Only those with moderate hiking abilities and who are comfortable on semi-rugged terrain, with a firm sense of balance, can attend this hike.
* All participants will be required to sign a waiver form.
* Participants must bring their own water, rain gear, hiking boots and wonderful attitude!
* Dogs must remain on a leash at all times - they can disturb wildlife including bears, elk, deer, cougars, wolves, raccoons, mink, and Sasquatch in the area.
* Be sure to support the local community by spending your dollars in Port Renfrew and Sooke!
* Be sure to fuel up in Sooke. Gas is only available at the Port Renfrew Marina from 9-5pm.
* This event is a fundraiser for the Ancient Forest Alliance, which is in need of funding to complete the Avatar Grove boardwalk and to continue its vital campaigns to protect BC’s ancient forests and forestry jobs.
Top | Back