The Ancient Forest Alliance is seeking a dedicated Canvass Director to drive our fundraising and awareness-raising efforts in the Greater Victoria Region.
If you are passionate about protecting BC’s ancient forests, enjoy self-directed work, and are committed to educating others about critical environmental issues, then we want to hear from you!
Note: we anticipate being able to resume door canvassing shifts by August, while adhering to strict health and safety protocols.
The Ancient Forest Alliance is BC’s foremost non-profit focused solely on old-growth forest protection. Built on grassroots outreach and fundraising, we rely on our teams of passionate fundraisers to sustain our campaigns and have a strong track record of success over our ten year history as a result. We have successfully campaigned to protect outstanding old-growth forests like Avatar Grove near Port Renfrew and Echo Lake near Mission and have reached tens of thousands of British Columbians through our outreach efforts. We campaign for province-wide legislation to protect endangered old-growth forests while also ensuring a sustainable, second-growth forestry industry.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Advertise, recruit, train, and manage a canvass crew of 5-10 individuals who recruit new donors and supporters door-to-door.
• Oversee canvass shifts Mondays – Thursdays and some weekends
• Lead by example and canvass at least two days per week
• Facilitate canvass team meetings and skills trainings before each canvass shift
• Evaluate canvasser and program success and give ongoing, constructive feedback
• Coordinate additional fundraising initiatives such as setting up information booths at community events and assisting with occasional fundraising events
• Manage administrative duties (e.g. create canvass turf maps, organize materials, review and reconcile donation transactions)
• Represent the organization in a professional manner
• Reports to the Executive Team and the Administrative Director
• Dedication to protecting old-growth forests and nature in general
• Supports the Ancient Forest Alliance and its mandate
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player
• Excellent communication and leadership skills
• Strong task management, organization, and time management skills; proficiency in excel and MS Word.
• Consistently strong work ethic
• Self-motivated but also able to take direction
• Good judge of character; experience recruiting, hiring, and training an asset.
• Good basic math and accounting skills
• Former canvassing or sales experience an asset
• Has reliable access to a vehicle that can be used to transport canvassers (expenses reimbursed)
Hours: Flexible with canvass hours Mon to Thurs from ~ 4pm-10pm. Occasional weekend hours.
Duration: One-year renewable contract (following successful 3-month probationary period)
Pay: Monthly base salary; plus individual & team performance-based income
Application closing date: July 26th, 2020
Position Begins: August 17th
To apply: Email resumes and cover letters to Joan Varley at: [email protected].
Please include “Victoria Canvass Director” in the subject line.